According to a recent Forbes article, there are 2.5 billion active social media users worldwide and this number is increasing 9% each year. Social Media advertising spending is also increasing rapidly with social media spending growing 55% to $10.9 billion, up from the previous year's $7 billion (according to Advertising Age). In order to be successful, is critical that companies take note of this and ramp up their social marketing strategies for 2017.
Here are a few prominent social media trends that TMS Colorado predicts for 2017:
- Video – You may now have access to a live video feed of your friend’s soccer game on your social media account. This trend is here to stay as video use is rapidly increasing on social media, especially on Facebook. In April, Facebook introduced “Facebook Live,” a feature that allows users to easily create and share videos.
- Chatbot - A chatbot is a computer program with robots that actively converses with and engages users. This is another growing trend that is definitely here to stay. While social media has always served as a valuable tool to direct potential customers to companies, chatbots allow companies to better interact with and understand their customers.
- Snapchat - Like it or not, Snapchat is here to stay, even surpassing Facebook in total views. The appeal of Snapchat is that is provides short-lived content that quickly disappears, which is important to younger social media users.
- Instagram is another social media platform that should not be overlooked. It is very important to branding, since user engagement is drastically higher on Instagram than it is on Facebook or Twitter. Users are much more likely to follow brands on Instragram that they are on other platforms. Instagram illustrates the value of visual storytelling, a component that should be part of all social media strategies.
- Informal storytelling on social media is increasing in popularity. Companies are actually intending to be less polished and structured, in an effort to appear more genuine. This allows them to better connect with and engage with their followers.
- More Personalized Content – Social media users are growing weary of general social media ads and are simply tuning them out. It is crucial that companies begin to recognize this resistance and deliver more personal and relevant content.
If you need help managing your social media, please give us a call at 303-216-0472 or email Patrice directly at email@example.com. Our team is here to help outline the strategies that will work best for you and your market.