Joining a Nonprofit Board of Directors
Joining a nonprofit organization’s board of directors can be a rewarding, career-boosting opportunity, especially if you do your research beforehand and select the right organization.
Here are a few tips on joining a nonprofit board:
- Consider what type of organization you would like to get involved with. Is there a particular trade association that you are interested in? Or, is there a charitable cause that you would like to support? It is essential to find an organization that you feel passionate about, or one that will fulfill your professional needs. This sense of commitment will get you through the demanding times of being a volunteer.
- Search for target organizations through websites such as volunteermatch.org that post board openings. You should also let your network know that you are searching for a board position through LinkedIn, a personal e-mail, etc. Be clear on what type of organization you are interested in becoming involved with.
- Identify your key strengths and how they will benefit your target organization. Once you have done this, approach board members and offer to fill a relevant position. For example, if you are a social media whiz, have a knack for organizing events, or have strong speaker connections, offer to lend a helping hand.
- Once you identify a target organization, volunteer for a lower level position on a committee, or even offer to take minutes at a board meeting. This is a great way to make contact with the organizations’ directors and officers and it will give you the opportunity to get a feel for the commitment of joining the board.
- If you are offered an invitation to join a board, be sure that you understand the expectations of the position, including time commitment, financial obligation, meeting attendance polity, etc.
For more tips on joining a nonprofit board, please contact TMS Colorado at 303-216-0472.